Menu plan, Week of September 10 - September 16
Wow, it’s been a while since I have posted a menu plan. It’s not because we have stopped eating, I can assure you! No, I have gotten completely lazy about planning the last few weeks. I have been completely uninspired lately when it comes to cooking, which is so odd for me since I love to cook. I am sure it has much to do with the fact that I have been in a morning sickness fog this pregnancy for longer than any of my others and food, many times, is just down right unappealing-as is cooking for 6 people and cleaning up after 6 people 3 times a day.
When you have a big family and you make everything from scratch, sometimes it feels like all you do is cook and clean up from said cooking. And sometimes it really is what is happening around here. So these days I am going for extremely simple so the kids and The Chick Magnet can help me as much as possible with as minimal mess as possible. Still, though, with 3 home-cooked meals a day, we dirty 18 plates EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. This pregnant mama is a bit weary of all of that.
Thankfully, though, that pregnancy fog is beginning to lift and I am getting to that point where I am regaining energy and focus and feeling pretty good. Well, that was until we were slammed with an awful, nasty sinus bug. I rarely get colds and when I do they run their course in 2-3 days. This one, though, has been going on since last Saturday. And it came with a debilitating headache. We went to my parents last weekend for a little “mini” vacation for my daughter’s birthday (10-egads!) and we had a whole girl’s day planned. I was so sad to disappoint my daughter by having to spend most of the day in bed due to a headache that was absolutely horrid! Thankfully, my step-mom was still able to take her out, but man, it was bad!
I had a couple of days of relief and then the headache came roaring back with a vengeance and didn’t subside for about 5 days. And of course, since I am pregnant, there was very little I could take to help it, and the things I did do to find relief did not work at all. Even now I am still feeling twinges of it, but it is not near as severe as it was late last week.
So, needless to say, I have been avoiding my kitchen like the plague. And we ran out of wheat berries and I have yet to find a local place here that supplies them, so we have no flour-which is never a good thing for this home-cookin’ mama! I am hoping to make more of an effort at it this week, though, so hopefully my family can have some good, healthy, home-cooked meals this week that aren’t peanut butter and jelly or eggs and toast for dinner (a current staple since the hubby and the daughter can handle those-and that sentence was just written as I am sitting at the computer eating eggs and toast lol ). Mama needs her mojo back!
- Breakfast: Eggs and toast (naturally )
- Lunch: Peanut butter and banana sandwiches, baby carrots, fruit
- Dinner: Out (Monday is The Chick Magnet’s day off and we like to go out at least once while he is home-plus we are usually running around running a bunch of errands when he is home, so there is precious little time for cooking)
Prep for Tuesday: Soak red beans
- Breakfast: Banana cake (for the kids, eggs for me)
- Lunch: Grilled cheese, sliced tomatoes and avocado, fruit
- Dinner: Red beans and rice, spinach salad, corn bread
Prep for Wednesday: Mix-up pancake batter
- Breakfast: Healthy, Hearty, Whole Grain and Nut Pancakes (with pumpkin add-in)
- Lunch: Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, sliced cucumber and baby carrots, Greek yogurt
- Dinner: Taco salad, Apple Nachos
- Breakfast: Homemade peanut butter chocolate chip granola with milk/ Greek yogurt
- Lunch: Egg “McMuffins”, cottage cheese
- Dinner: Turkey meatloaf, roasted cauliflower, spinach salad
- Breakfast: Steel-cut Oats (for the kids, eggs for me)
- Lunch: Leftovers
- Dinner: Homemade pizza
- Breakfast: Baked Oatmeal
- Lunch: Leftover pizza
- Dinner: Out (we will be on the road-headed to my parent’s house so The Chick Magnet and my dad can go to the Dolphins game)
- Breakfast: Hotel breakfast
- Lunch: At my parent’s
- Dinner: At my parent’s
- Roasted Chick Peas
- Skinny Monkey Cookies
- Veggie Chips (can use kale, sweet potato, spinach, zucchini, summer squash etc…)
What’s on your menu this week?
As always, I am happy to post recipes for anything I have not already linked to, just let me know in the comments!