Menu plan, Week of September 24 – September 30
Happy Monday everyone! I can’t believe it is the end of September already and it has been a whole three months since we became Floridians. We got to experience the full effect of Florida’s heat this week when our A/C went out. The temperature topped out at 90 degrees in here, which, as I’m sure most of my readers are aware, does NOT make for a happy pregnant mama! It also does not make one want to spend much time in the kitchen over the hot stove. So you will see that some of my meals are hold-overs from last week.
There is a happy ending to this story. The A/C repairman is in my home as we speak. It was nothing super serious-just a seriously dirty unit from our house sitting empty for so long (this was a bank-owned property, so it likely sat empty, with the A/C running continuously, for at least a year if not longer). The repairman took the unit out and it was covered with about an inch worth of dust and grime. I even have photographic evidence. Wanna see?
Of course, you do.
Nasty! So, thankfully, our worst fears of having to replace the entire unit were not realized. The added bonus is that we should now be saving about half what our electric bill previously was-which will be big bucks. We got quite the shock when our first electric bill came in and we figured that was the price we would have to pay for living in FL. So thankful that is not the case and we should have more “normal” bills coming in now. What a relief! Ah, the joys of home ownership, right?
Now that drama is over, I am ready to get back in the kitchen and try out some new recipes! I hope you all have a wonderful week!
- Breakfast: Eggs
- Lunch: Peanut butter and banana sandwiches, baby carrots, fruit
- Dinner: Leftovers (The Chick Magnet is going to Father/Son football Night at Chick Fil-A with our two oldest sons, so it will just be me and our other two kids home for dinner tonight-I rarely cook a full meal unless my whole family will be around.)
- Breakfast: Eggs, whole wheat English Muffin (this is what The Chick Magnet makes me just about every morning-he’s perfected his “eggs over medium” technique and they are SO yummy)
- Lunch: Peanut butter and jelly, apples, carrot sticks (we will be gone for the day at the children’s museum so I need to pack lunches that will keep well in the stroller)
- Dinner: Crock Pot Teriyaki Chicken, spinach salad (The crock pot is invaluable on days like this when I will be gone all day-after being on my feet all day at the museum and having baseball practice at 7:30 in the evening, it will be so nice to come home to a ready-made, healthy meal rather than succumbing to the drive-thru temptation)
Prep for Wednesday: Mix-up pancake batter
- Breakfast: Healthy, Hearty, Whole Grain and Nut Pancakes (with pumpkin add-in)
- Lunch: Grilled cheese, zucchini boats, roasted brussel sprouts
- Dinner: Turkey Picadillo, served with quinoa (another great recipe from Skinnytaste!)
- Breakfast: Homemade peanut butter chocolate chip granola with milk/ Greek yogurt
- Lunch: Egg “McMuffins”, cottage cheese
- Dinner: Brown Rice Casserole, roasted asparagus
- Breakfast: Steel-cut Oats (for the kids, eggs for me)
- Lunch: Leftovers
- Dinner: Homemade pizza
- Breakfast: Baked Oatmeal
- Lunch: Leftover pizza
- Dinner: Beef tips over homemade whole-wheat egg noodles
- Breakfast: Eggs, toast
- Lunch: Pizza Quesadillas, sliced cucumbers and avocado
- Dinner: Out (we do enjoy one meal out on the weekends-gives mama a much-needed break and it’s just nice to relax with my family and not have to worry about who has to clean up the mess afterwards!)
- Roasted Chick Peas
- Skinny Monkey Cookies
- Veggie Chips (can use kale, sweet potato, spinach, zucchini, summer squash etc…)
What’s on your menu this week?
As always, I am happy to post recipes for anything I have not already linked to, just let me know in the comments!